Newly Diagnosed with Leiomyosarcoma-Initial Steps
Navigating The Initial Diagnosis – Important Considerations
First and foremost, you must find a SARCOMA SPECIALIST, preferably one who has treated many patients with Leiomyosarcoma.
Finding the Right Treatment Center – Surgeon and Oncologist for You:
- Ask your primary care physician who he or she would recommend as a Medical and/or Surgical Oncologist (Sarcoma Specialist) familiar with the treatment of Leiomyosarcoma. If they have no suggestions then refer to the list of Sarcoma Centers, all of which have experience in the treatment of Leiomyosarcomas. Here is a map of all the centers as well.
- Make sure to ask if the Oncologist and the Sarcoma Center you select accept your health insurance plan.
- It is essential that you have a family member, friend, or caregiver accompany you to your appointments with the Oncologists. They should take notes of what is said that can be reviewed by you after the appointment.
- Have a medical appointment organizer notebook to help you keep all your important paperwork such as lab test results, radiology/imaging reports, pathology reports, current medications as well as the notes and questions you have written down in good order and ready for each appointment. Staying organized allows you to be better prepared for all your appointments.
- Make sure that you write down the questions you want to ask the Surgeon or Oncologist and take them with you to your appointment. (To view questions to consider asking – go to the “Questions to Ask Your Surgeon or Oncologist” tab on this website).
Dr. Seth Pollack, a leading medical oncologist and sarcoma specialist, encourages patients to find the doctors most equipped to treat their disease, one who will communicate with them and find the most effective treatment options for them.
WHEN THE DOCTOR SAYS ITS CANCER
Second Opinion Guidance From The American Cancer Society-
Getting a second opinion is a good idea, common practice, and completely acceptable. Here are some tips: https://www.cancer.org/treatment/finding-and-paying-for-treatment/choosing-your-treatment-team/seeking-a-second-opinion.html