Next Steps Forward
First Step Forward: Ask your primary care physician who he or she would recommend as a Sarcoma Specialist familiar with the treatment of Sarcomas and in particular, someone with known experience with Leiomyosarcoma cases. If they have no suggestions then refer to the list of Sarcoma Centers, all of which have experience in the treatment of Leiomyosarcomas.
FIND A SARCOMA CENTER OF EXCELLENCE
FREE SARCOMA PATIENT WEBINAR FROM THE NCCN – Know what your Doctors know:
The guidelines focus on the treatment of soft tissue sarcoma among adults. Key points are summarized in the NCCN Quick Guide, offering patient resources on sarcomas. The NCCN.org/patients for the full library of patient books, summaries, and other resources.
NAVIGATING NEXT STEPS once start the process to make your appointment at the Sarcoma Center, and preparing for the
- Make sure to ask if the Oncologist and the Sarcoma Center you select accept your health insurance plan.
- It is essential that you have a family member, friend, or caregiver accompany you to your appointments – to help you take notes of what is said for review after the appointment.
- Have a medical appointment organizer notebook to help you keep all your important paperwork such as lab test results, radiology/imaging reports, pathology reports, current medications as well as the notes and questions you have written down in good order and ready for each appointment. Staying organized allows you to be better prepared for all your appointments. THE NLMSF OFFERS COMPLIMENTARY
APPOINTMENT ORGANIZERS – email:
firstname.lastname@example.org to order one.
- Make sure that you write down the questions you want to ask your sarcoma specialist, or oncology care team, and take them with you to your appointment. (To learn more, click “Questions to Ask Your Surgeon or Oncologist“
- BE YOUR OWN BEST ADVOCATE! Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your Oncology Care Team.
- YOU MAY WISH TO SEEK A SECOND OPINION BE ASSURED OF THE RIGHT PATHOLOGY / DIAGNOSIS/TREATMENT PLAN FOR YOU – see youtube presentations: https://www.
youtube.com/watch?v= q9KmGBZg9pI; https://www. youtube.com/watch?v= h61VfMfsGgA
- Remote Site Second Opinion Access: https://nlmsf.org/remote-
- WHO IS YOUR ONCOLOGY CARE TEAM AND WHAT WILL THEY HELP YOU – WEBINAR: https://www.cancer.
net/navigating-cancer-care/ cancer-basics/cancer-care- team/oncology-team
Dr. Seth Pollack, a leading medical oncologist, and sarcoma specialist encourages patients to find the doctors most equipped to treat their disease, one who will communicate with them and find the most effective treatment options for them.