Next Steps Forward
Sarcoma Centers of Excellence
Finding the right treatment center and a specialist you are comfortable with is imperative. The Sarcoma Alliance Through Research Collaboration (SARC) provides a map of Sarcoma Centers of Excellence throughout the U.S. See a map of SARC centers throughout the USA.
Who is your Oncology Care Team – the “Multidisciplinary” Care Team and what is their role in your care – From the American Society of Clinical Oncology:https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/cancer-basics/cancer-care-team/oncology-team
- Questions to ask while in the process of making of your first appointment: https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/managing-your-care/questions-ask-when-making-appointments
- 12 Questions to ask at your first Appointment: https://sarahcannon.com/blog/entry/12-questions-to-ask-at-your-first-oncology-appointment
- Make sure to ask if the Oncologist and the Sarcoma Center you select accept your health insurance plan.
- It is essential that you have a family member, friend, or caregiver accompany you to your appointments to take notes and help you review the appointment information obtained by your care team.
- Have a medical appointment organizer to keep important paperwork such as lab test results, radiology/imaging reports, pathology reports, medication list, notes and questions, etc. NLMSF offers complimentary organizers, email
firstname.lastname@example.org to order.
- Write questions as you think of them to ask at appointments. Check out “Questions to Ask Your Surgeon or Oncologist.“
Young Adults- Guidance on what to ask your Oncology Care Team – from Cancer.Net: https://www.cancer.net/navigating-cancer-care/young-adults-and-teenagers/young-adults-questions-ask-your-health-care-team
- Can A Biopsy Spread my Cancer?
2021-03/can-biopsy-make-my- cancer-spread?cmpid=ks_ cancernet_net_blog_em_ dailycancernews_all_040321____
- Be Your Own Best Advocate! Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your Oncology Care Team. Feel free to seek a second, even third, opinion regarding diagnosis, treatment, pathology, etc. View videos from Dr. Richard Gorlick and Dr. George Demetri on this topic.
- NLMSF offers a list of Remote Second Opinion Sites.
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology offers guidance on knowing your Oncology team.
Survivorship Begins At The Moment Of Diagnosis
Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) https://jnccn.org/view/journals/jnccn/11/5S/article-p640.xml